[Fedora-packaging] Re: -devel rpms with pkgconfig files should 'Requires: pkgconfig'

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Wed Jun 21 19:37:18 UTC 2006

> On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 11:02 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> >
> > Bear in mind, however, that the difference between a full install (many
> > GB's) and pkgconfig (< 100K) is monumental.
>
> True, I'm addressing mentality.
>
> We've got two differing opinions on this, would anybody else like to
> chime in?

Purity would place pkgconfig in a BuildRequire for the package that uses
it rather than a Require in the -devel package providing the .pc.

However, if I have -devel packages installed it's either because I'm
building someone else's software from scratch or because I'm writing
some software of my own.  In the former case, it's likely that upstream
is using pkgconfig, so having it automatically install keeps me from
wondering why the configure script fails.  In the latter case, unless
I'm doing a quick one off I probably want to use pkgconfig to portably
find information to compile and link with the library.

So I think a Require: line in the package providing the .pc is better
for the end-user than a BuildRequire: in the consuming package.