[Fedora-packaging] Re: License tag in packages

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 22:47:43 UTC 2006

I missed this week's FESCo meeting so I don't know if it was brought
up, but there should be a FESCo descision on "best practices" when the
packager is in doubt.

Personally I want as little liability on me as a packager as possible.
 I would like to be legally forced to use a license specified by
rpmlint only in my agreement with packaging for redhat, and therefore
any liability I would have as a packager regarding the license tag
would be transferred over to redhat.

There should also be legal text somewhere indicating that the license
tag should only be considered as an indicater to the type of the
license and has no legal binding whatsoever.

I'm just covering my ass here, I don't like discussions about
packagers being sued over what is in the License tag of the RPM ;-)