[Fedora-packaging] Re: Kernel Module Packaging

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Sep 15 14:51:09 UTC 2006

Hi!

Parag N(पराग़) schrieb:
>     I am planning to submit kernel module packages which are not in
> mainstream kernel yet. May i know what guidelines should i follow?

As some poeple pointed out already: Use
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/KernelModules

> I saw already many packages waiting for review in FE and
> yet no progress for them. why so?

Seems no reviewer really wants to touch them :-/ And there was a
discussion on FAB if we should generally (dis)allow kernel module
packages in Extras. There was no real decision on this yet afaik -- the
next meeting where this probably finally will be discussed is next
Tuesday afaik. That's probably one of the reasons why kmod-packages are
on hold slightly.

>    I don't understand why Fedora people don't want kernel module
> package that do not satisfy
> "A publishable explanation from the author(s) why the module is not
> merged with the mainline kernel yet and when it's planed to get
> merged. You of course can ask the author to explain it directly in the
> bug report.   "

That's more a political hurdle we installed on purpose.

The reasons behind this are not quickly answered. In short: Kernel
modules belong into the kernel, that easier for users, developers and
packagers. And we want to make sure they get there.

[...]

CU
thl