[Fedora-packaging] desktop-file-install --vendor=... proposal, comments?

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Tue Sep 26 16:49:24 UTC 2006

For some reason that confuses me a bit.  The first line after the
example says "we're going to talk about --vendor in the context of the
menu spec", then the first item says not to use --vendor at all and
the second item talks about KDE and --dir.

Plus, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know if the upstream provides
vendor_id.

How about three examples:

Proposed desktop-file-install examples:

If upstream provides a desktop file, does it include "Vendor:" (or
however I'm supposed to know that it specifies vendor_id:)?  If so,
use this:

[[ blah ]]

KDE applications not falling into the above category should use the
following:
  (or put this first if KDE-ness overrides the other options)

[[ blah ]]

Otherwise, use the following:

[[ blah ]]