[Fedora-packaging] Re: Statistics on usage of disttags in Fedora Core and Extras

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Apr 6 18:28:28 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 06:29:36PM +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 06:04:56PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > o continue suggesting the use of disttags to new packagers - even
> >   though optional it should be the recommended way to package things
> >   up.
>
> But remember that for data noarch packages, and software noarch packages
> that don't in stall in versionned interpreter directory disttages are
> harmfull.

I agree, in general anything that wouldn't change from release to
release, for example because it just get's installed w/o any
processing onto the filesystem should not carry a disttag but be
shared as a single instance. Firmwares and content packages come to
mind.

In fact if we ever (e.g. at F8 release time) decide on making disttag
mandatory, we would have to exclude these packages from carrying a
disttag and would have thus a handle of identifying
cross-distribution/cross-release packages.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net