[Fedora-packaging] Statistics on usage of disttags in Fedora Core and Extras

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Apr 9 09:55:43 UTC 2007

Christopher Stone schrieb:
> On 4/7/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>> Christopher Stone schrieb:
>>> huh?  How is this even physically possible?
>>> /me am confused.
>> You mean "Packages in FC7 that have .fc6 as disttag"? Easy: That happens
>> if a packages was never rebuild during a devel cycle. And that happens
>> quite often:
>
> So in other words, when the release team branches devel to F7 they
> don't do a rebuild on all packages like they should?
>
> This seems just a little dangerous to me.  All packages should be
> rebuilt on branches.

/me is nor sure if Christopher means the devel branch before or after
branching for F7 (in this case).

>  I am really quite surprised that this is not
> already done.  There are already automatic rebuilding scripts, why not
> just kick off a shell script?

Because some packagers dislike that? To avoid that users have to
download new packages just because they were rebuild? There are probably
more reasons that don't come to my mind yet.

Anyway, that stuff in packaging in practice. fedora-devel or
fedora-maintainers would thus be the better place to discuss this.

> I would think that checking that a package actually builds before a
> release would be somewhat important...

There are Matt's rebuild efforts. They probably should be integrated
into the Fedora infrastructure better. E.g. use the normal builders when
they are idle to rebuild packages, check them and if the build fails of
something is different then send a mail to the maintainer or
automatically open a bug. Or something like that.

CU
thl