[Fedora-packaging] Re: Draft: Init Scripts

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Feb 20 03:31:45 UTC 2007

> Ralf Corsepius (rc040203 at freenet.de) said:
> > > Perhaps it become clearer if we find such a package and discuss what
> > > we'd like an upgrade to perform.
> >
> > E.g. customizing/fixing init priorities,
>
> There are overrides for this in rawhide. See the latest chkconfig package.
>
> > buggy init-scripts with local
> > bug-fixes applied, ...
>
> That could apply to *anything*, whether it be /usr/bin/find or
> /etc/init.d/sshd.
Yes, ... if you want to drive this to extremes, one could argue this to
be a missing feature in rpm.

>  Special-casing something just because it happens
> to be shell seems misguided.
Whether this is special casing depends on your view "/etc ... /etc/ ==
configuration" == no special casing.

Apart of this, a system is not unlikely not to boot up anymore or at
least not to work properly anymore when an update reverts a local bug
fix/customization.

Ralf