[Fedora-packaging] Re: Firmware packaging, v2

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Feb 23 09:51:18 UTC 2007

On 23.02.2007 10:32, Axel Thimm wrote:
> [...]
> I think what you want is to quickly select firmware packages. Maybe
> that's better done with having firmwares always prefix the package
> name instead with "firmware-"?

Sound like a nice idea to me.

BTW, do we have a definite description of what a firmware is (and what
not). Something like "A firmware is uploaded to the flash of a hardware
device and executed there *and not* by the operating system on the host cpu"

Might be a good idea to write that or something similar down somewhere,
to avoid that someone submits madwifi's HAL or similar cruft as firmware
package.

CU
thl