[Fedora-packaging] Re: Guidelines and epochs

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jan 8 16:06:00 UTC 2007

On Monday 08 January 2007 11:03, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> No need for second-tier epochs if people don't add anything than single
> integer digits in there, anmd only use Epochs as a last resource case.
> The 1-9 range should last for the decade at least.

Well, discounting that Bind has an epoch somewhere in the 40s...

What Axel is saying is this.  Right now we use Version/Release

We put something in the repo that is version 1.2, release 1.  Then we say Lets
try this new 2.0 release!

Version 2.0, release 1

Oh damn, that was a really bad idea, this is totally broken, we need to roll
back, but preserve upgrade path:

Epoch 1, version 1.2, release 2

Now epoch is with this package forever.

What you're saying is to use the Virtual provides right?  Same scenario.

Virtual provides of 1.2 is ABI/API/Whatever 1.2.  This has no epoch, and even
if the package itself had epoch, we aren't asking for it, we're asking for
the newest package that provides foo(api) => 1.2.  Now lets try that 2.0
again, which changes the api, and now we provide foo(api) = 2.0.  Whoops, we
need to rollback, now you have to add an epoch to the foo(api) of the 1.2
package, or you lose.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora