[Fedora-packaging] Java naming scheme

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Jan 18 16:04:40 UTC 2007

On Thursday 18 January 2007 10:57, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> But isn't the norm that we do this only if such case ever happen?

Without the dist there beforehand, it doesn't help to add it after, as foo.fc6
will be newer than just foo, where foo could have been foo.fc7.

> Anyway, I believe the only case we would respin the FC6 one would be if
> there was a (security?) bug, so we will probably have to respin the FC7
> one as well, so it will end up being FC6 +1 anyway.  At least this is
> what has been happening so far.

That isn't always the case.  A bug with the gcj version in FC6 could cause a
rebuild, and that bug may not exist in the F7 version of gcj.  Or there could
have been a buildsystem issue when building 3jpp for all branches, requiring
you to rebuild on FC6 branch but not F7 branch.  These things do happen, we
need to account for them instead of trying to work around them with epochs
later.

> Shouldn't we leave the %{_dist} out and add it only if absolutely
> necessary for a specific package?

Again, by the time you realize you need it, its too late, unless you rebuild
on ALL branches just to add the dist tag, and then you defeat the purpose.
ANY package that is using the same upstream version should probably use the
dist tag to avoid non-fun games with adjusting release across branches.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora