[Fedora-packaging] Hardlinking *.pyc and *.pyo

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Jun 13 18:51:54 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 03 April 2007, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Related to recent space saving discussions, I came across PLD's
> rpm-build-macros package recently, and found that they hardlink
> identical *.pyc and *.pyo.
[...]
> The PLD implementation looks like this:
[...]
> The use of "cmp" would require diffutils installed.  Or the above
> could be converted to use hardlink instead (which would have to be made
> sure to be around) or maybe sha1sum (in coreutils, pretty much always
> around in buildroots).
>
> I suppose something like the above could be easily added to
> redhat-rpm-config or rpm, eg. embedded in brp-python-bytecompile
> or run after it in %__os_install_post.

Jeremy pinged me about resurrecting this thread, so here goes, the original
threads starts at
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2007-April/msg00003.html for
those who missed it.

Anyway, attached is a patch against rpm.org hg for discussion - seems somewhat
clumsy to use sha1sum for this but I guess it could be acceptable.  Tested on
just a few python packages on F-7.  Better implementations certainly exist,
and are welcome :)