[Fedora-packaging] Possible UsersAndGroupsDraft

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jun 14 08:41:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 23:45 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> I'm not quite sure I'm ready to bring this to the FPC for a vote, but
> I've been working on a modified version of Ville's draft:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/TomCallaway/UsersAndGroupsDraft
>
> While this is more complicated, I think it more adequately covers the
> corner cases of adding users and groups. Thoughts?

I am not convinced by your classification of cases:
<citation>
  * The user/group does not exist on the system
      * The user/group exists from a previous package creating it
      * The user/group is a normal user, overlapping the namespace (e.g.
        amanda)
      * The user/group is pre-created by the administrator with a
        specific UID/GID
<citation/>

IMO, this is only covers small subset of

 * user/group does/does not exist on the system
 * user/group has a privileged/non-privileged uid/gid
 * user/group needs a privileged uid/gid
 * user/group needs a fixed/doesn't need a fixed uid/gid
 * user/group is meant to be used locally/network-wide

Ralf