[Fedora-packaging] Re: Possible UsersAndGroupsDraft

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jun 15 05:47:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 13:21 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 17:25 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > Not really. The tools I introduced are helper scripts.
> > >
> > > Ville's draft only created the user/group if it didn't exist, and if
> > > not, didn't, but left the files owned as that user/group. That security
> > > issue concerns me.
Actually, I like Ville's proposal because of it's simplicity and don't
see the potential security risk as critical, because user/group and
uid/gid handling always will require admin intervention.

> > Yes, but the proposed complicated apparatus does not justify
> > this. Better to have %pre fail then and deal with the transaction
> > mess. After all how often will a sysadmin have created a non-system
> > user "amanda" (and accidentially install amanda w/o remembeing that he
> > had such a user)?
>
> Axel, you couldn't choose a worst example :)

The worst case probably is using a "last name is username" convention
and your last name being "Root", "Mail" or "Windows" ;)

> It is also entirely possible that the admin does not know that such user
> exists as users may come from ldap,nis,winbindd and not created by such
> admin but by someone else.
>
> I think at least a check to see if the "amanda" user is < 1000 would
> make a lot of sense.

I think restricting all rpm-created uids to < a limit (the value is
debatable) and presuming them to be local would be a reasonable
compromise

Ralf