[Fedora-packaging] Re: /srv

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jun 27 18:19:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 08:08:50PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 27 juin 2007 à 21:01 +0300, Ville Skyttä a écrit :
>
> > I don't see how it would be possible to sanely satisfy all the "do not assume
> > any particular layout", "do not remove locally placed files in /srv"
> > and "use /srv as the default location for such data" requirements in packaged
> > software, so maybe that's a case in point for not using /srv at all.

Yes, only "filesystem" should mention /srv, e.g. create it.

> +1
>
> also layouts that use domains as roots are pretty much ruled out in an
> rpm context, so that's not as if we have a choice to make

Yes, but that means more that the rpm setup within /srv is ruled out,
the way you write it may be read as "rpm doesn't support domain
hierarchies, so Fedora setups should not use them" ;)

/srv was really left alone for several Fedora Core releases (only
bittorrent would install there), we should return to that setup (and
also move bittorrent away).

$ ls /srv
alsa-project.org
atrpms.net