[Fedora-packaging] Re: /srv

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Jun 27 20:00:35 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 27 June 2007, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 27 juin 2007 à 21:41 +0300, Ville Skyttä a écrit :
> > On Wednesday 27 June 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > /srv was really left alone for several Fedora Core releases (only
> > > bittorrent would install there), we should return to that setup (and
> > > also move bittorrent away).
> >
> > Moving is tricky for many packages as there can be *lots* of content
> > installed in the currently used dirs.  It may and will in many cases
> > require reorganizing partitions and/or disks.
>
> That's a bad argument. You could use it to block any distro change,

Aww, please.

> and
> waiting longer only means more systems installed with a known-bad
> policy. When a better policy is agreed on there is no win in delaying
> implementation.

Even if the "better policy" is essentially just a new interpretation of a
(still) ambiguous, kind of self conflicting standard, and would in some cases
mean knowingly breaking existing perfectly well working setups on upgrades?
I don't think I can agree with that.

What I can agree with is applying the new interpretation to newly introduced
packages, and after the ambiguity in the specification has dissolved and the
new interpretation been in practice for quite a while without no pressure to
change it again in sight, only then inflicting the breakage, loud and clear,
unless no other migration path is found.