[Fedora-packaging] Re: /srv

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jun 28 06:18:09 UTC 2007

Le jeudi 28 juin 2007 à 03:02 +0200, Axel Thimm a écrit :

> People are concentrating their system's data under /srv mainly for
> mount and backup strategies, not because /var/lib wouldn't fit.

Right. And the policy you're advocating is backup this bit if the admin
used the default conf, and backup another one if he changed it.
That's plain insane.

You have
/home user data
/var/lib system apps data
/srv data served by the system to other systems

simple clean easy to understand

> So actually introducing a fixed layout into /srv party discards its
> existence.

Please read the start of the thread again. I never advocated locking
out /srv in a fixed layout. I advocated making a fixed layout in /srv
for our needs, in a specific part of /srv, letting admins do whatever
they want this the rest of /srv.

I don't care if you want to organise stuff in /srv by domain zodiacal
sign or dog name. I want the same ability I have on the rest of the
filesystem, preconfigure stuff for users that do not have advanced
needs. The binary you vs me is stupid there's zip reason we can not both
create structures in /srv as long as there is a clear partitioning
convention so we do not step on each other foot.

--
Nicolas Mailhot