[Fedora-packaging] How to deal with folders that need the user to change permissions on?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Mar 15 13:16:12 UTC 2007

On Thursday 15 March 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:

> A workaround would be to not own this folder which is very ugly,
> violates guidelines, leaves orphaned folders behind, and is just not
> The Right Solution. Which is The Right Solution?

Well, if I understand correctly, considering that fiddling with the
permissions of this dir is required for the purpose of enabling mediawiki to
create files in it, and those created files will not be owned by the
mediawiki package in any case and will be left behind on package erase (ditto
the dir if there are files in it, dir owned or not), I don't think leaving it
unowned would be anywhere near a cardinal sin either.

In fact, it sounds much better to me than changing permissions of packaged
files - package upgrades reset permissions of files, %config or not.  Ditto
rpm --setperms/--setugids.  Which is why IMHO the answer to the original
question is "don't even try to require changing permissions/ownership of
packaged files, find a better way around the problem".

Marking the dir as %ghost and experimenting how it behaves then could also be
of (mostly academic) interest.