[Fedora-packaging] [DRAFT] Post Release Naming/Tags

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Sat Mar 31 15:08:31 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 17:31 -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> IMO, in such cases the upstream "version-release" should be treated as
>>> rpm's "version"
>>
>> '-' is not a valid character in an rpm version.
>
> man tr
>
> %define tarvers 1.2.3-4.5.6
> %define rpmvers %{expand:%(echo %tarver | tr - _)}
> Version: %rpmvers

At which point you're no longer using the exact upstream version.
You're using something close to it.  There are lots of ways to do
something close to something.  If the tarball is x.y-z, we could do
x.y_z-1.fc7 (version: x.y_z) or x.y-z.1.fc7 (version x.y release z.1)
and they'd all look valid.  But none of them follow upstream.

I'd argue that using the latter scheme makes it look closest to
upstream, which to me is very important if I want to search for a
package by version number.  I'd still be able to do find -name
abc-x.y-z* or a yum search abc-x.y-z and have it work.