[Fedora-packaging] Re: Requires: initscripts?

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue May 8 16:06:39 UTC 2007

Matthias Saou
<thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net>
writes:

> I've never added "Requires: initscripts" to packages which contain an
> init script before.

When your initscripts do not work without /etc/init.d/functions and the
initscripts are an essential part of your package (e.g. not sample
%doc), you have to add corresponding Requires: entries.

> So my question : As long as the Requires(...) for the scriplets are fine
> in order to get the package properly installed, updated and erased, do
> we still need to add that explicit requirement?

It depends how far we want to abuse rpm bugs/missing features. With
current rpm, it is fine to add only the tagged Requires(...) because
they implicate an untagged Requires: too.

The feature, that deps from Requires(post/preun): can be removed after
installation, and will be reinstalled at removal, is not implemented,
afaik.

Enrico