[Fedora-packaging] Re: Requires: initscripts?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue May 8 18:31:36 UTC 2007

Bernard Johnson wrote :

> Matthias Saou wrote:
> > Nope. The current guidelines don't mention anything about this AFAICT.
> > It's the reviewer of my package who thinks it should be added, and had
> > it confirmed by someone on IRC (which isn't something I'd consider
> > trustworthy!).
>
> Really, how can you say that. [...]

I'm not sure what you mean :
- The current init scripts guidelines don't mention anything else than
the fact that the scripts shouldn't be marked as %config.
- The reviewer of my package (you) thinks the requirement should be
added.
- You had someone on IRC (I don't know who) confirm your opinion...
without further details, I can definitely not consider this a strong or
even valid argument.

Basically, this is what "I can say that" :-)

> So consider the case that someone compiles and runs their own kernel and
> removes the fedora kernel from the system.  Until this was pointed out
> to me, I did not know how few dependencies there were (at least in newer
> fedora releases).  This is totally plausible.  And then if they remove
> initscripts (because nothing else depends on it), your package is
> broken.  This is why it should require initscripts.

Hey, I'm not saying you're wrong! I'm just saying that I've never put
an explicit "initscripts" requirement in any package with an init
script (nor do I recall seeing any Red Hat package with it). I'm also
saying that my preference would be to not put it there, since it's
assumed to be there, and any Fedora system will have it installed.

If the Packaging Committee decides that it's best to put it, then so be
it, but I prefer discussing the matter here.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6
Load : 0.67 0.67 0.82