[Fedora-packaging] Re: Second user/group handling draft

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat May 12 09:52:05 UTC 2007

On Saturday 12 May 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 12:18:09PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > On Friday 11 May 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > >   "If you think that your package really requires allocation of global
> > >   static uids/gids (because you need to hardwire these values into the
> > >   binaries) then contact <the maintainer of "setup"? the fpc? fesco?>
> > >   and ask for such an allocation. Only very few packages require a
> > >   global static uid/gid, so verify that you indeed need one before
> > >   contacting <>".
> >
> > Adding users/groups to the "setup" package in the distro is an upgrade
> > problem - /etc/passwd and friends will end up as *.rpmnew
[...]
> We wouldn't change anything in today's procedures, we're just writing
> them down.

Note that your phrasing above mentions contacting the maintainer of the setup
package.  This implies to me as if adding users/groups to the distro setup
package would be a possibility.  That's certainly not today's procedure -
there has been no user additions to /etc/passwd since RHL 6.2 (maybe even
earlier?), and only the "lock" group was added to /etc/group in 7.2,
otherwise no new groups in it since RHL 6.2 either.