[Fedora-packaging] Draft Changes to static libraries

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue May 22 17:31:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 08:47:56PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> == Exclusion of Static Libraries ==
> Applications linking against libraries should as far as possible link
> against shared libraries not static versions.

I think it could be even stricter, like
When there are shared and static libraries, applications should link
against shared libraries except for exceptionnal circumstances, like
dynamically linked applications being non-functionnal.

I am perfectly happy with this draft. I will try to work on a paragraph
trying to explain the case of numerical libs/portability and so on to
provide guidance on this kind of 'exceptionnal circumstances'.

--
Pat