[Fedora-packaging] paragraph on shipping static numerical libs

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sun May 27 20:55:18 UTC 2007

On 27/05/07, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> > someone is hell bent on producing statically linked binaries, then
> > they can download the source for the libraries they need and build and
> > link statically against them.
>
> Of course, but it would be way better for them if we could help them.

Actually, having read through your and Axel's emails I can see why
you're so keen to see static library packages available. Actually,
another use case is when you have a cluster of  Fedora machines set up
with a front end node where users do their work, and a load of back
end compute nodes with a heavily stripped down installation, you may
want statically linked binaries for executing under MPI on those nodes
- this is a situation I have come across and used, and has nothing to
do with the portability to different platforms thing. So, yeah, I can
see why you might want static libs packages, even though more often
than not, they're abused by users.

J.