[Fedora-packaging] Re: paragraph on shipping static numerical libs

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue May 29 10:55:17 UTC 2007

Le Mar 29 mai 2007 11:28, Axel Thimm a écrit :
> On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 10:58:54AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> Le Mar 29 mai 2007 10:40, Axel Thimm a écrit :
>> > But in serious number crunching the decision of hardware planning
>> is
>> > not left to the IT staff, but the project managers themselves.
>>
>> So what? You complain about overly small IT budgets, and then you
>> say
>> the people who choose the hardware don't consult the people that
>> know
>> how much it'll cost to run it? Do I need to draw you a picture?
>
> Well, for one I'm just quoting facts, no more, no less. And yes, the
> people evaluating mips/$ are not the IT staff (because they usually
> don't even understand what the code does and how to find out where the
> mips could be improved).

> It's different in
> experimental groups - there you get more power as an IT admin.

Well here projects get to evaluate/choose the hardware/software they
want, but they need IT entities sign-in before any purchase is
un-blocked, so if their choice is not on the existing shortlist they
have the choice between gowing back to the drawing board or agree to
cough up the associated maintenance budget extension.

Does wonders to avoid gratuituous platform inflation. And no this is
not an experimental group context - quite the contrary.

--
Nicolas Mailhot