[Fedora-packaging] Packaging guidelines for Emacsen add-on packages

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed May 30 06:47:35 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 00:26 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> > On 27/05/07, Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi> wrote:
> > > Regarding the current Emacsen add-on draft,
> > >
> > > * Added some more info about requiring a version of (X)Emacs newer than
> > > or equal to the one used to compile the *.elcs, and how to find that
> > > version out dynamically during package build.
> >
> > Actually, I was just testing this, and it doesn't work.
> >
> > You added these macros:
> > %define emacsversion v=$(rpm -q --qf=%%{VERSION} emacs) ; case $v in
> > 2*) echo $v ;; *) echo 0 ;; esac
> >
> > %define xemacsversion v=$(rpm -q --qf=%%{VERSION} xemacs) ; case $v in
> > 2*) echo $v ;; *) echo 0 ;; esac
>
> Good lord. No. Thou shalt not query rpm inside rpm.

Disagreed, when done carefully.

> Ask emacs/xemacs what version it is.

$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 22.0.95.1
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

$ xemacs --version
XEmacs 21.5  (beta28) "fuki" [Lucid] (x86_64-redhat-linux, Mule) of Sat May 26
2007 on viper.bobcat.mine.nu

Very much fun parsing those and creating a string that matches what the
corresponding emacs/xemacs package's version is, when we can just simply ask
rpm.