[Fedora-packaging] Re: paragraph on shipping static numerical libs

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed May 30 22:02:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 10:03:55AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Mer 30 mai 2007 09:09, Patrice Dumas a écrit :
> > On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 10:14:21PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> >>
> >> I call crap on that. I was a single systems person for a bunch of
> >> systems for a long time. You keep your sanity by enforcing policy
> >> and
> >> you can do that by using the tools available to you to simplify the
> >> tasks. You don't need homogeneous hw, you need LARGELY homogeneous
> >> hw.
> >> So you limit the processor archs and you try to focus things down as
> >> much as possible.
> >
> > It isn't necessarily enough. Do you consider a mix of centos4 and
> > fedora to be homogeneous?
>
> Once you have a largely homegeneous hw parc you can deploy homogenous
> sw platform.

But the systems may serve different purposes like number crunchers
(stable and secure, long-lived and low maintenance components aka
RHEL/CentOS/SL) vs desktops (bigger choice, fresher content aka
Fedora). Is strongly assume this is Patrice's need for separation.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net