[Fedora-packaging] Ownership of /usr/share/gnome/help

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 18:21:52 UTC 2008

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> TK> yelp owns it.  There's a question of whether packages which have
> TK> gnome help should Require yelp or not.
>
> What about a package that _only_ provides gnome help?  The
> system-config-* packages have split out their documentation and I'm
> reviewing the new packages, but am stuck on this issue.

From my point of view that the help button in the app should work, the
new package doesn't need to split out the gnome-help portion as the app
would need to require it anyway.  And if the app requires it, the app
package can also require yelp.

However, maybe we need to decide whether it's okay for the help menu
item to "not work".  (ATM I believe the app appears to not do anything
if yelp is not installed.  Not sure what happens if yelp is installed
but the help pages are not available.)  If others think it's okay for
Help to not pop up a help window then the sane thing to me would to move
ownership of the directory into filesystem.

> TK> If yelp is not Required, then filesystem should own
> TK> /usr/share/gnome/help.  If yelp is required, the filesystem
> TK> ownership will do no harm.
>
> This would imply that any package other than yelp or filesystem which
> owns /usr/share/gnome/help has a bug, I guess.  More to file.

Yeah, after we get /usr/share/gnome/help into filesystem.