[Fedora-packaging] Should vim-X11 conflict with vim-enhanced ?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Jan 15 22:06:40 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Till Maas wrote:

> I do not know, whether or not seperating vim-X11 and vim-enhanced is worth
> it. This is only what is currently the case. All I want to achive is that
> the /usr/bin/gvim binary from vim-X11 will have symlinks with the names
> {vim,vimdiff,ex,view,rview,rvim,vimtutor} in /usr/bin. So now there are
> three ways to do it:
>
> 1) use Conflicts
> 2) use alternatives
> 3) use the binary from vim-X11 in vim-enhanced instead

I wouldn't like any of the above.  But didn't someone already suggest:

4) Use wrapper scripts in /usr/bin/{vim,vimdiff,ex,view,rview,rvim,vimtutor}
that first look for the -X11 executables, then -enhanced.  Maybe something
like:

#!/bin/sh
vim=/usr/libexec/vim/enhanced/$exe
if [ -x /usr/libexec/vim/X11/$exe ] ; then # maybe test "-n $DISPLAY" here too
    vim=/usr/libexec/vim/X11/$exe
fi
exec $vim "$@"

...and ship it in vim-enhanced, and make vim-X11 require it (and obviously set
up so that the desired executables/links are found
in /usr/libexec/vim/{enhanced,X11})?