[Fedora-packaging] desktop file icon/pixmap locations

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Tue Jul 8 02:44:40 UTC 2008

"Tom \"spot\" Callaway" <tcallawa at redhat.com> writes:
>> One point: I'd suggest that we *not* require conversion of upstream
>> icon files to a uniform file format, so long as what upstream supplies
>> will work (ie, please no "thou shalt convert xpm to png" in the
>> guidelines).

> I'm pretty sure that png and xpm are supported at a minimum, possibly
> other formats as well.

Hmmm ... using file(1) on an F-8 workstation I find this under
/usr/share/pixmaps and /usr/share/icons:

    141 ASCII text		(.theme and .icon extensions)
    229 GLS_BINARY_LSB_FIRST	(no idea what these are)
     19 JPEG
   8890 PNG
      1 TIFF
     12 TrueType font data	(icon-theme.cache files)
     16 X			(.xpm)
    686 XML			(.svg)
    236 gzip			(.svgz)

How many of these icons actually work as expected is an interesting
question, but clearly there's a variety of formats that packages *think*
are supported.  PNG is by far the majority though, and it looks like the
usages of the stranger formats are confined to a few packages each.
Maybe we *should* standardize on PNG here --- it appears that only a few
packages would be affected by a conversion requirement.

			regards, tom lane