[Fedora-packaging] Re: supporting closed source operating systems?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 17:55:01 UTC 2008

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:25:51AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> OTOH, do we want to open the door to people running mingw-compiled
>> binaries under wine?  That seems like it might be a whole 'nother can of
>> worms, though.
>
> You can actually run the executables under wine directly.  In fact you
> just run them.  Assuming you've set up the ~/.wine/config file so that
> paths to any non-standard DLLs can be found, then ./virsh.exe does the
> right thing.

Yeah.  I'm just wondering if widespread use of that would be a desirable
or undesirable outcome.  Here's a hypothetical:

Let's say that Google opensources Picasa.  Do we want to build and run
that Windows app under wine using a cross compiler or do we want to
wait/start a project to port the program to native Linux APIs?  I can
see benefits to both sides.

> Setting up DLL paths correctly when mingw-runtime is installed was one
> thing I was going to look at.

Cool.