[Fedora-packaging] Re: supporting closed source operating systems?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 18:05:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah.  I'm just wondering if widespread use of that would be a desirable or
> undesirable outcome.  Here's a hypothetical:
>
> Let's say that Google opensources Picasa.  Do we want to build and run that
> Windows app under wine using a cross compiler or do we want to wait/start a
> project to port the program to native Linux APIs?  I can see benefits to
> both sides.

I'm going to be deadly serious for a moment.

If it builds from source, then Fedora must demand that it does so
natively as a precondition to consider building the binary that works
under wine.  The compiled binary version that works inside
wine...would be optional if and only if the native version is up and
available already.  The native version must be available first in
Fedora.

-jef