[Fedora-packaging] Case-insensitive "yum install"?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Jul 25 10:25:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 23:32 -0400, Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [Looks like this has been discussed previously, though perhaps not here.
> Sorry if it's annoying to have it brought up again.]
>
> I'd like to make "yum install" case-insensitive (for occasions where
> there is only one useful interpretation of case), so that I can do
> e.g. "yum install wxgtk" without first doing "yum search wxgtk" and
> finding that the required case is "yum install wxGTK".

This won't work with UTF-8 unless you want to continuously update your
code to all the scripts of the world. FESCO explicitely authorized UTF-8
in Provides, and it'll probably spread further mid-term.

If you want to fix this use case properly (as in, solid technical
solution) you need to change the guidelines for mandatory package name
lowercasing (as some other distros are already sane enough to do).

Last time this was discussed in FPC/FESCO mandatory lowercasing was
rejected. But you can try again.

> What do people here think?  Is there anything I've missed?

You're workarounding bad naming guidelines with a brittle solution.
Don't workaround the guidelines, have them fixed.

--
Nicolas Mailhot