TeX fonts, part one [Was: Re: [Fedora-packaging] Proposed amendment to general packaging guidelines: no bundling of fonts in other packages]

Vasile Gaburici vgaburici at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 11:45:06 UTC 2008

The TeXNaming draft guidelines
[https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/TeXNaming] seem to
indicate that "tex" should go before the package name. E.g.
tex-foo-fonts, and perhaps latex-foo-fonts as well. I don't know if
ConTeXt needs any special bits for fonts, but in Fedora it gets
packaged separately as texlive-context. The only bit that surely
doesn't need anything special is texlive-xetex, which can use the
system fonts.

A minor issue: dvipdfm and dvipdfmx don't have a tex prefix in their
package names, even though both put files in the system texmf tree. I
don't know if they're usable without TeX installed, but I kinda doubt
it...

There draft guidelines say that there are several ways to specify the
"Requires:" for TeX. But on a recent review, I got this:
? MUST: The package must meet the Packaging Guidelines .
The Requires for texlive-latex should be replaced with Requires: tex(latex)

The sooner this gets sorted out the better...