[Fedora-packaging] Menu entries

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Thu Jun 19 21:33:00 UTC 2008

Henrique Junior wrote:
> Hi, folks,
> I'm Henrique from Brazil and I'm trying to be a maintainer of a
> chemical drawing tool called bkchem.
> After some reseach and with Terje's help the job is almost done, but
> I'm not able to make the RPM create a menu entrie for the software.
> Can anyone helpe with this?
> In the source folder we see bkchem-0.12.2/images that contains icons
> with many resolutions and a splash screen.

You need a .desktop file for that. The description of the file's format
can be found here:

    http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/

You can also look at other package's files to see how to create one such
file.

Having the .desktop file, you just need to make some small changes to
the spec file to register the file. They are described in the packaging
guidelines:

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Desktop_files

--
The brotherhood of man is not a mere poet's dream; it is a most depressing
and humiliating reality.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb