[Fedora-packaging] Non-UTF8 gzipped manpages

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 20 02:33:00 UTC 2008

I'm getting warnings on all the gzipped manpages (I'm instructed by
rpmlint to gzip them) being not UTF8.

heimdal-devel.x86_64: W:
file-not-utf8 /usr/heimdal/man/man3/gss_krb5_ccache_name.3.gz
The character encoding of this file is not UTF-8.  Consider converting
it
in the specfile for example using iconv(1).

Running:

man /usr/heimdal/man/man3/gss_krb5_ccache_name.3.gz> /tmp/heimdal.txt
[abartlet at naomi heimdal-mandriva-rpm]$ file /tmp/heimdal.txt
/tmp/heimdal.txt: UTF-8 Unicode English text, with overstriking

Indicates they are UTF-8, so what's going on here?  I've attached this
example to this mail.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

--