[Fedora-packaging] Requires(hint):

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sun Jun 22 16:56:01 UTC 2008

On Sunday 22 June 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 14:46 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > On Sunday 22 June 2008, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> > > Strawman proposal: ban use of Requires(hint) in Fedora packages.
> >
> > -1
>
> How about a little meat to that "-1", like what you don't agree to in
> the proposal, alternative proposals to resolve the problem, etc...

There's not much to say except the obvious: I just fail to see the problem
you're referring to and thus see no reason why it should be banned.

The semantics (both current and future) should be pretty clear and I'd be
surprised if we wouldn't eventually see tools that support it better than
just treating it as equivalent to plain Requires.

I do think that Enhances:/Recommends:/Suggests: are better syntaxes than
Requires(hint): though, but unlike (hint) they're not backwards compatible.