[Fedora-packaging] Retrograde package version

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Thu May 15 17:59:52 UTC 2008

I recently followed another distribution's lead and made some assumptions
about the version numbering of a package I maintain, mt-daapd.

I released a bugfix in the form of:

mt-daapd-0.9-0.4.1696.fc8
mt-daapd-0.9-0.2.1696.fc9
mt-daapd-0.9-0.2.1696.el5

I had thought that the next release would be in the 0.9 series.

Now, the bugfix is upstream and the author has released the next version
of mt-daapd. Unfortunately, this version is 0.2.4.2, which is lower that
the versions above. I'd like to supercede the packages above with this
"lower" version number.

What is the best way to handle this? I'd like to avoid using the 0.9
version, as the developer has not moved to this yet upstream.

Mike