[Fedora-packaging] New packager question

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazqueznet at gmail.com
Mon May 19 03:46:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 09:40 +0800, Gregory Hosler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> new packager here.
>
> Apologies in advance for any ignorant questions.

The only ignorant questions are the ones unasked.

> First question: What is the procedure when there are changes to the spec file ?

cvs update ; $EDITOR foo.spec ; cvs commit

> I am gathering that changes are done in devel first, and then after they build correctly,
> those changes/updates are then applied to the respective branch from {EL-4, EL-5, F-7,
> F-8, F-9}, one at a time. Is this correct ?

It's best to keep newer releases with newer ENVRs, but there's no
requirement to wait until a build is complete in devel before applying
it to the stable Fedora releases. You can use the mockbuild target to
give a "quick" shakedown of your package under a specific branch.

EPEL has it's own set of rules; you'll want advice from someone that's
more familiar with them before touching the EL branches.

> now, the pc I'm using for development is presently F-8, i386; How do I verify a package
> for other platforms, other hardware ? I have heard of mock, koji, and have been to the
> relevant wiki pages. I'm more needing some step-by-step guidance, as to what needs to be
> done, and the order of things :)

You can pass --scratch to koji in order to test build a SRPM for a
single release across all archs; I'm not sure if you can do a scratch
build of the contents of a branch.