[Fedora-packaging] New packager question

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon May 19 10:46:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 06:30:02PM +0800, Gregory Hosler wrote:

> So you're saying that anything committed to devel will eventually find it's way to the
> other branches (F-*) ?

No, it will find its way to F-10 only. You should make the changes you
want to the other branches yourself.

> | I personally think that it is bad to break ABI in releases, or do
> | updates that have incompatible configuration files, but there
> | are differing opinions on that matter. Which package is it ?
>
> gyachi -- it's an instant messaging package, lots of eye candy. does yahoo protocol.

Looks like there is no library, but a plugin system, so there are issues of
ABI compatibility, though you should know if they broke the plugins API
for plugins that are not shipped with the main program. If no, my advice
would be to push it to all the branches unless the new release is not
compatible with previous user config, but I hope they didn't do
something like that.

--
Pat