[Fedora-packaging] file-not-utf8 complaints

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sat May 31 09:37:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 06:56:33PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> Reencoding the xml files that specify an encoding isn't strictly
> necessary.  We should probably ask upstream whether they are amenable to

I think that reencoding files that carry over the encoding information
(info, texinfo, tex and xml for example) is wrong. It is better to let
upstream do whatever they want. Same for examples of code, better leave
the encoding preferred by upstream.

For NEWS/Changelog, other text files in %doc and also man pages that are
not installed in a non utf8 locale, I agree that converting to UTF-8 is
better.

--
Pat