[Fedora-packaging] Please do not redefine %_bindir

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sun Sep 28 04:14:14 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 21:07 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Building the fedora 9 cpio package for a distribution that puts
> install-info into /usr/bin (where it probably belongs - the info dir is
> in /usr/share so /usr is going to be mounted when you run it, and users
> can make there own info dir so it probably shouldn't be a /sbin or
> /usr/sbin binary, but anyway ...)
>
> So - to port the rpm I needed to change the references to
> /sbin/install-info to %{_bindir}/install-info
>
> After building, it would not install because - yup, the fedora spec file
> redefines %_bindir at the top of the spec file to /bin
>
> Don't do that.

A lot of ancient Fedora packages that date back to the RHL era do things
like this. We can add this to the guidelines (and perhaps we should),
but in the majority of cases like this, it will do nothing to fix the
actual packages which are brain-damaged like this.

If you have not already done so, please file a bug against the Fedora
cpio package.

~spot