[Fedora-packaging] Packaging games?

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 02:30:47 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I am attempting to package IVAN (http://ivan.sf.net) as my first
contribution to Fedora outside of bug reports. With the help of the fedora-
kde guys I mostly understand writing specs and the packaging process in
general. I have just a few nagging questions that are keeping me from
submitting this for review right now:

1) When packaging a game, is it safe to assume that the user who will be
running this is a member of the games group?
2) If not, what is the best method of applying setgid to the /usr/bin/ivan
in the spec file?
3) Is it acceptable by review standards to have a zero length file in the
rpm, even if rpmlint moans about it? It's a high score file under /var/games
that apparently cannot be created by the main executable. I tried patching
the source to create the file automatically, but I couldn't figure out how;
it's probably has something to do with permissions. The mode on the fopen
call was already "wb" which 'should' work...
4) Are packaging guidelines for games spelt out anywhere?

Thanks for your time,
Ryan

--
Ryan Rix
(623)-826-0051

What you end up with, after running an operating system concept through
these many marketing coffee filters, is something not unlike plain hot
water.
	-- Matt Welsh

http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://twitter.com/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#teensonlinux,#plugaz and
      countless other FOSS channels.