[Fedora-packaging] Strawman: standardize 8-space tab width

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Aug 21 08:41:40 UTC 2009

On 08/21/2009 09:21 AM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> RC>  Tabs only add marginal unreadablity to specs.
>
> Just to be clear, the proposal wasn't to eliminate tabs from specs,
> although that was proposed later in the thread.  The proposal was to
> standardize a reasonable tab width.

Define reasonable tab with.

I guess you mean 8, but, whether you like it or not, there is no
"standardized tab width".

Conversely, there are huge user groups, who "standardized" to other tab
widths, e.g.

* Some BSDs systematically use a tab width of 4 everywhere.
* Some vi users typically user a tab width of 3 (I am not using vi, so
no idea where this originates from).
* Many users apply a tab width of 2.
* There are editors, which seem to guess on "best tab expansions".

To all these user groups, fixing rpm's tab width to 8 would seem "greasy
kid-stuff" (sorry if this appears rude to you, but it's how I feel about
people who are complaining about tab widths).

Ralf