[Fedora-packaging] directory ownership in f-spot package

Christian Krause chkr at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 28 13:12:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

Trying to fulfill all requirements regarding the directory ownership
described here
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#FileAndDirectoryOwnership
has some implications for the f-spot package:

Please consider the following:
A package (here f-spot) provides a screensaver plugin for
gnome-screensaver in /usr/libexec/gnome-screensaver/ .

I see 3 possible solutions how to handle the directory ownership of
/usr/libexec/gnome-screensaver (which is already owned by
gnome-screensaver package):

1. The most trivial way would be to let f-spot depend on the
gnome-screensaver, don't own /usr/libexec/gnome-screensaver and just put
its executable there.
The drawback is that it may not be wanted that the installation of a
photo managing software requires the installation of a specific screensaver.

2. The f-spot package could make use of the exception and own
/usr/libexec/gnome-screensaver/ as well. However, the functionality-wise
f-spot's screensaver would still depend on gnome-screensaver. There
would be also the minor problem that the package would claim to provide
a functionality in various menus which would not be there if
gnome-screensaver would not be installed.

3. I could move screensaver part of f-spot into a sub-package. Only the
sub-package would then require gnome-screensaver. This would properly
satisfy all packaging requirements, but the users who want this
functionality must install the sub-package manually since they will
loose this feature during the update from the complete package to the
one which is split in two parts.

>From a packaging point of view I tend to choose option 3 despite its
drawbacks.

Would this be a good way?