[Fedora-packaging] The better way to use %install section

Murilo Opsfelder Araújo mopsfelder at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 23:33:23 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I'm packing a third party software and this third party software is a
tarball with a install.sh and other binaries.

For example:

$ tar xvzf myprogram.tar.gz
$ cd myprogram
$ ls
bin1
bin2
install.sh

To install this software I just need to run (as root) install.sh and
myprogram runs fine.

After finishing installation I have all the files installed as the
following example:

/usr/bin/bin1
/usr/bin/bin2

What's the better way to install these files?

Do I need to run install.sh on the %install section inside
myprogram.spec? Something like this:

%install
sh install.sh

Or do I need to copy all install.sh commands inside %install section?
Something like this:

%install
install -o root -w root -m 0755 bin1 %{_installdir}/bin1
install -o root -w root -m 0755 bin2 %{_installdir}/bin2

And one question just to confirm: do I need to list all bin* files
inside %files in both case, right?

Thanks in advance.

--
Murilo Opsfelder Araújo