[Fedora-packaging] removal of pre-built files

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 21:42:55 UTC 2009

Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com> writes:
> On 6/18/09 5:03 PM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>> That's why the statement starts with "If possible..."
> The point is that, in light of this, the guideline should be that these
> files should *not* be regenerated unless doing so affords some tangible
> improvement.

I don't think the guidelines should tell people what to do one way or
the other.  There might be package-specific reasons why regenerating
docs is or is not a good thing (eg, this upstream does indeed have a
history of forgetting to update derived doc files).  I think leaving it
to maintainer's discretion is exactly what we should be doing.

More generally, Fedora packagers should be assumed to be competent
to make this type of decision.  It's not the goal of the guidelines to
tell them what to do in exact detail.

Proposal #1 (which just clarified what is considered an executable
and thus subject to the already-agreed policy) seemed fine to me.

			regards, tom lane