[Fedora-packaging] Renaming of upstream project/rpm/binary

Fernando Nasser fnasser at redhat.com
Sat Jun 20 22:36:47 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Federico Hernandez" <ultrafredde at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion of RPM packaging standards and practices for Fedora" <fedora-packaging at redhat.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2009 6:04:29 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [Fedora-packaging] Renaming of upstream project/rpm/binary

Hi!

This is not yet happening, but the upstream project wants to do a
rename and release several "binaries" under the new project name. The
current binary and package is one of them:

Now:

project name: foo -->
rpm: foo  --> binary: foo

Soon:

project name: FOOBAR -->
rpm FOOBAR --> binary foo
                    --> binary bar
                    --> binary ernie
                    --> binary bert

foo 1.8 --> foobar 2.0

What are the procedures for this? Formal and technical ones? In
particular regarding the "updates". How can I make the old package be
superseeded by the new package.

>> Obsoletes foo <= 1.8
>>
>> Please, do not forget to use the '<= 1.8' bit.  Unversioned Obsoletes are a very bad thing.

THX
/Federico