[Fedora-packaging] Renaming of upstream project/rpm/binary

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jun 21 08:32:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-21 at 00:04 +0200, Federico Hernandez wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This is not yet happening, but the upstream project wants to do a
> rename and release several "binaries" under the new project name. The
> current binary and package is one of them:

clip

> What are the procedures for this? Formal and technical ones? In
> particular regarding the "updates". How can I make the old package be
> superseeded by the new package.

Have a look at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#Renaming.2Freplacing_existing_packages

To make the change the new package must get reviewed, just open up a new
Review Request as Rename Review: foobar - an app to do bar.

After the review has been approved you can request a cvs branch for the
renamed package and mark the old cvs branch dead.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor
jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org