[Fedora-packaging] Java packaging questions about rpmlint messages

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 29 06:31:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 17:48 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> I am working on packaging a java game and have a couple of rpmlint messages
> that I am not sure if I can ignore.
>
> One is an error for having no binaries. I thought the java stuff was somewhat
> arch dependent, so I thought my resulting jar file should be arch dependent
> and that overriding the buildarch would be a bad idea?

The whole idea of Java is build once, run on everything. Java is noarch
(at least when not compiling with gcj).

> The second is a warning for including a classpath in the manifest. The original
> package is setup to have a class path point to a library with a few included
> jar files. Only one of these jars is needed and is already packaged for
> Fedora. For the build process I override the property saying where the libs
> are to point to the Fedora jar directory. But this gets left in the manifest.
> To run the program I have a shell script that includes the two jar files
> and gives the class name to run. So while not being able to give a usable
> classpath on the java command line is annoying, it isn't a big deal in this
> case. Is this out and out broken? Is there a way to do it better without
> having to do too much customization of the original projects build.xml
> file? (ant is used to do the build.)

You need to remove the included .jars and classpaths and make the
package use the packages in Fedora (or package the requirements in
Fedora if it's missing at the moment).
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor