[Fedora-packaging] Package-internal static linkage

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon May 4 18:14:53 UTC 2009

On Saturday 02 May 2009, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Ville Skyttä wrote:
>
> > ## Always link the command line tool statically against liblzma. It is
> > ## faster on x86, because no need for PIC. We also have one dependency
> > less, ## which allows users to more freely copy the xz binary to other
> > boxes.
>
> Is this what they are telling you?

Kind of, the above is what it says in src/xz/Makefile.am, above
xz_LDFLAGS = -static.  There's another similar -static setting in
src/xzdec/Makefile.am.

BTW, I didn't realize that xz conflicts pretty badly with lzma and isn't a
100% compatible replacement but knew that it isn't really necessarily ready
for packaging yet - I did it for curiosity and to take look at what xz can
currently do.  In case someone's interested, the specfile I was working on is
at http://scop.fedorapeople.org/packages/xz.spec (I've already forwarded this
to the Fedora lzma maintainers).